Supported by the National Geographic Society-Asia and the Forest Foundation Philippines, Explorer Encounters is Masungi Georeserve Foundation’s contribution to mainstreaming environment conservation in the Philippines by providing a unique platform for discussions, knowledge-sharing, and community building.
Happening in Manila House in Bonifacio Global City on September 1, 2018, this landmark event brings seasoned National Geographic explorers and local storytellers together in the Philippines to share their work and experiences with professionals and future leaders. Advancing Conservation through Storytelling Envisioned as a yearly gathering of local and international experts, organizations and leaders, the first iteration of Explorer Encounters will bring together 80 conservationists, storytellers, and advocates.
Registration starts at 2:30 PM for invited participants. The Explorer Encounters aims to:
● Train conservation professionals and future leaders through practical workshops and expert talks on how to advance their conservation goals through storytelling
● Allow participants to form networks within and between the conservation and communications fields to inspire future collaborations and alliances
● Mainstream a conservation mindset in the Philippines With these in mind, the organizers have invited speakers, workshop facilitators and performers aligned with the event’s causes. Meet the Storytellers Representatives from the National Geographic Society – Asia includes world-class explorers such as:
● Prasenjeet Yadav, a molecular biologist turned photographer from India who early in his scientific career realized that his real passion lay in telling stories;
● Hannah Reyes-Morales, an international photographer born and raised in Manila who is curious about the stories people tell themselves in the midst of adversity such as human trafficking at sea and forced marriages in Cambodia;
● Dr. Alessandro Ponzo, an ethologist who founded the Large Marine Vertebrates Research Institute (LAMAVE), a non-profit organisation dedicated to the conservation of marine megafauna such as shark, turtles, rays, whale sharks, and their habitats, and;
● Yannick Kuehl, senior director for programs and explorer development in Asia-Pacific.
Our workshop facilitators will include Pia Faustino of Thinking Machines, Issa Tobias of Google Philippines, Vince Cinches of Greenpeace Southeast Asia, and Sally Snow of LAMAVE. International photographer Paco Guerrero, founder and executive of GRID Magazine will host the event while multi-awarded journalist and documentarist Atom Araullo has been tasked to moderate the explorer talks.
SCORE YOUR INVITE
Receive an Invitation for Explorer Encounters Join #ExplorerEncounters in Instagram.
The public may participate by joining the Explorer Encounters competition on Instagram. Just post your best photo of nature and in the caption, tell how you protect the environment.
Use #EncounterEncounters and tag @masungigeoreserve on Instagram to enter the competition.
Deadline for submission of entries is on August 20, 2018 (Monday). Three (3) winners will be announced on August 22, 2018 (Wednesday).
Interested organizations and individuals working on conservation projects in the Philippines may e-mail [email protected] to receive an invitation for the event.
This is a press release.